lobby gallery

Rental FAQs and Policies

General FAQ

Renting individual must be 21 years of age or older. Adult must be present at event.

What decorations are not allowed with my rental?

All decorations must be approved in writing two weeks in advance of any function. The following items are NOT ALLOWED:

  • Nails or screws
  • Confetti and/or glitter
  • No helium balloons
  • Candles that are not enclosed
  • No fog machines
  • No electrical circuits may be altered

All decorations must be up without defacing the building. All decorations must meet fire code regulations. Candles must be enclosed in glass. Nothing may be attached to the Theater stage without written permission from the Facility Director, Scheduling Coordinator or Technical Services Director.

What equipment is included in my rental?

The following equipment is available on a first reserved, first served basis:

  • 21 – 30” x 8 foot rectangular tables
  • 11 – 30” x 6 foot rectangular tables
  • 8 – 30” cabaret tables
  • 15 – 60” round tables
  • 3 – 48” round tables
  • 200 upholstered stackable chairs

What additional services do you offer with a room rental?

  • Young Chang baby grand piano is available in the theater for $150 including tuning.
  • spinet upright piano is available in the Jaycees Studio for $150 including tuning.
  • Box office service is available via Stages Theater Company.  Cost is $25 for set up and 10% of ticket sales.  Service includes:
    • Sales personnel for advanced ticket sales and time of show (minimum 2 hours)
    • Tickets including printing and stock
    • Customer Service including over the counter sales, telephone sales, VISA/Mastercard/Discover sales and exchange capabilities.
    • Reports of day to day sales and ticket audit.
    • Box office hours are from noon to 6 pm Tuesday through Saturday.
  • Other equipment is available for rent on a first come, first served basis (fee charged.)
    • Lectern with sound system
    • Microphone/sound
    • Video projector and screen
    • Dry erase board
    • Flip chart (paper not provided)
    • Display easel
    • Coat racks
  • Theater rental require a technical services staff person at a rate of $35 per hour. Renting organizations that need sound or light equipment in the Jaycees Studio beyond house lights must pay a $35 per hour fee. After your application is approved, you can arrange your technical service by calling Gretchen Katt, Technical Director at CPT Services at 952-979-1130.

Is there any storage space at the HCA?

There are no storage facilities available at the HCA.  Plan to deliver your items at the beginning of the reserved time, and clear everything at the end of the event.

What if I have to cancel my reservation?

A 25% non-refundable deposit is required to hold your space request.   Full payment must be received two weeks before the event. Cancellation prior to two weeks before the event will result in a refund of any monies paid, less the 25% deposit. Cancellation two weeks or less before the event will not result in a refund.

Where do we park?

Free off-street parking for up to 3 ½ hours is available in a ramp less than one block from the Hopkins Center for the Arts.  For longer events contact us to discuss special permit availability.

Where can we leave our coats?

Guests are welcome to use the unattended coat room at your own risk. If you would prefer to have an attendant, it can be arranged for an additional charge. Portable coat racks are also available.

FAQ: Serving Alcohol

NOTE: All renting organizations/individuals distributing and/or consuming alcohol in the Hopkins Center for the Arts must comply with and abide by all Federal, State and Municipal laws and ordinances.

The City of Hopkins requires that only approved providers serve alcohol at Hopkins Center for the Arts.

Big Ten Restaurant
1106 Mainstreet
Hopkins MN 55343
(952) 930-0369

Mainstreet Bar & Grill
814 Mainstreet
Hopkins MN 55343
(952) 938-2400

Wild Boar Bar and Grill
1022 Mainstreet
Hopkins MN 55343
(952) 378-1693

Alcohol must stay in the designated rental space.  The Renting Organization/Individual will be responsible for making sure its guests follow this policy.

Can we provide our own alcohol?

What rooms is alcohol allowed in at the Hopkins Center for the Arts?

Alcohol may be served at activities and events held in:

If a group rents the entire facility, or the facility is scheduled for adult activities only on a particular date, alcohol could also be served in the lobby.

  • There is a $50 additional charge applied to the rental costs to offset administrative expenses associated with this service.
  • There is also an additional hourly charge for a security officer, required at all events serving alcohol. The Hopkins Center for the Arts will designate and arrange this service from the time the distribution of alcohol begins until the end of the event. The renting organization/individual will directly pay the Arts Center at the hourly rate of $25 per hour, minimum four hours, per security officer. The Hopkins Center for the Arts reserves the right to determine the number and placement of security personnel.
  • A damage deposit of $200 is required at the time of application for all events at which alcohol is served. If there are no damages you may collect your damage deposit the next business day following your event.

How late can alcohol be served?

Alcoholic beverage service will end no later than 11:30 pm.

Is there an additional charge for having alcohol?

FAQ: Food Catering

Do you have a preferred list of caterers?

If you are not having a cash bar or charging admission to your event you can select a caterer of your choice, as long as they can provide a copy of their license and liability insurance. If the renting organization/individual would like to have a cash bar to serve alcohol, or to charge admission to an event, the renting organization/individual is required to hire the services of one of the Arts Center approved caterers. This caterer must provide both the food and alcohol. Please request this list if you will be serving alcohol at a cash bar.

Can food be prepared at the Hopkins Center for the Arts?

No—the catering kitchen is intended for catering purposes only. This area is not intended to be used for cooking of any food products.

What rooms is food allowed in?

Food and beverages must be kept in the rented room or space. Food and beverages are not allowed in the theater or dance studio. All requests to use the lobby for catering must be approved in writing. The Hopkins Center for the Arts reserves the right to coordinate and determine the number and placement of catering stations in the lobby or other common use areas. Requests to use the lobby for catering stations must be made in writing 30 days prior to the event.

Are there any foods you prohibit?

The following products are prohibited in the Hopkins Center for the Arts:

  • Red punch
  • Popcorn
  • Chewing Gum

Does the HCA provide linens or dishes?

Caterers are responsible for all table coverings. Caterers are also expected to provide all plates, silverware, and glassware for tables.

Is there an additional fee for having food at an event?

  • A food and beverage fee of $50 is applied when there is a catered meal in the Jaycees Studio or the Albert Pike Lodge #237 Community Room. Use of the kitchen is included in this price.
  • Renting Organizations/Individuals that wish to bring bagged or boxed lunches or commercially prepared trays do not have a fee. If the Renting Organization/Individual would like to use the kitchen when serving boxed or bagged lunches or commercially prepared trays they may rent the kitchen for a fee.
  • The fee for concession carts in the lobby or other common use areas is $15 per 2-hour period. This fee applies to all users without regard to if the station is for sale, service, or demonstration.

All payments must be made prior to the start of the event.

Review Complete Policies