Send proposals to:
Visual Arts Selection Committee
Hopkins Center for the Arts
Hopkins, MN 55343
Questions? Call 952-979-1105.
For Member Artists Only
1. Member Group Exhibitions
Each fall members of Friends of the HCA are invited to submit work for a select, juried exhibition and each spring members are invited to participate in a nonjuried show. Both shows are judged for awards.
2. Off-the-Wall Member Spotlights
Friends members are also eligible to apply for an off-the-wall showcase which is displayed on the east wall of the second floor lobby. Interested members should contact Lynn at 952-979-1100 to sign up for a three-week showcase.
Open to All Artists
These shows explore an artistic medium, form, genre, culture or theme and often include an educational or outreach component. We accept proposals from members or nonmembers, from individuals or organizations, from artists or curators.
HCA or the Friends of the HCA do not pay artists to exhibit or to develop exhibition ideas.
- HCA receives a 25% commission on exhibited work. HCA handles all sales and requires sold work to remain in the show until it closes.
- HCA has the right to promote the exhibition, including using artists’ names and reproducing images of their work. HCA must approve all promotion done by an exhibiting artist.
- Artwork must arrive ready for installation and labeled with the artist’s name and title of the piece. Artists are responsible for installing their own exhibitions.
- HCA reserves the right to:
- refuse or remove work that it deems a hazard to the facility or its guests.
- reject work at installation if that work is markedly different from that proposed.
- refuse or restrict placement of work that it deems inappropriate for family audiences.
applying for a special exhibition
Postmark Deadline: February 1 (deadline is firm; no exceptions)
You may submit a proposal based on your own original work, as a representative of a group of artists or as a curator. Proposals are reviewed each February and are scheduled 9-24 months in advance.
- 5-15 images on a CD or external drive (we do not accept for review original artworks, e-mailed images or images as slides, photographic prints or digital printouts, nor will we download images from your website). Format: jpg file, maximum 1MB each.
- a typed or printed list of the submitted images with artist’s name, date, title, medium and dimensions of each piece
- artist statement about the work (if applying for a group, include a brief description of the thread that ties the work together)
- if applicable, information on a proposed educational/outreach component
- stamped and self-addressed envelope for the return of your CD/external drive if desired
special exhibition selection process/criteria
Proposals are reviewed by a committee of artists and community members in February of each year. Proposals may be submitted at any time but must be postmarked no later than February 1 to be reviewed that same year. You are notified of results by April 1.
Selection criteria include the quality of the work to be exhibited and how the work will aid in providing a diverse and exciting exhibition schedule. The potential for community involvement and educational and interpretive content may also be considered.
A solo exhibition may require up to 40 images/works. HCA may suggest combining proposals into shows if the work complements each offer.
HCA is not responsible for loss or damage of submitted proposal items.