Apply for a Special Exhibition
The HCA invites all artists to apply for a special exhibition. Application deadline for 2018-2019 season is February 1, 2018.
These shows explore an artistic medium, form, genre, culture or theme and often include an educational or outreach component. We accept proposals from members or nonmembers, from individuals or organizations, from artists or curators. You may submit a proposal based on your own original work, as a representative of a group of artists or as a curator.
HCA or the Friends of the HCA do not pay artists to exhibit or to develop exhibition ideas.
- HCA receives a 25% commission on exhibited work. HCA handles all sales and requires sold work to remain in the show until it closes.
- HCA has the right to promote the exhibition, including using artists’ names and reproducing images of their work. HCA must approve all promotion done by an exhibiting artist.
- Artwork must arrive ready for installation and labeled with the artist’s name and title of the piece. Artists are responsible for installing their own exhibitions.
- HCA reserves the right to:
- refuse or remove work that it deems a hazard to the facility or its guests.
- reject work at installation if that work is markedly different from that proposed.
- refuse or restrict placement of work that it deems inappropriate for family audiences.
apply for a special exhibition - online
Questions? Call 952-548-6489.
Online Submission Deadline: February 1, 2018
(Online submission must be received by midnight, deadline is firm; no exceptions)
apply for a special exhibition - by mail
Send proposals to:
Visual Arts Selection Committee
Hopkins Center for the Arts
Hopkins, MN 55343
Postmark Deadline: February 1, 2018
(Deadline is firm; no exceptions)
- 5-15 images on a CD or external drive (we do not accept for review original artworks, e-mailed images or images as slides, photographic prints or digital printouts, nor will we download images from your website). Format: jpg file, maximum 1MB each.
- a typed or printed list of the submitted images with artist’s name, date, title, medium and dimensions of each piece
- artist statement about the work. (If applying for a group, include a brief description of the thread that ties the work together)
- if applicable, information on a proposed educational/outreach component
- stamped and self-addressed envelope for the return of your CD/external drive if desired
Questions? Call 952-548-6489.
special exhibition selection process/criteria
- Proposals are reviewed by a committee of artists and community members in February of each year. Proposals may be submitted at any time but must be postmarked no later than February 1 to be reviewed that same year. You are notified of results by April 1.
- Selection criteria include the quality of the work to be exhibited and how the work will aid in providing a diverse and exciting exhibition schedule. The potential for community involvement and educational and interpretive content may also be considered.
- A solo exhibition may require up to 40 images/works. HCA may suggest combining proposals into shows if the work complements each offer.
- HCA is not responsible for loss or damage of submitted proposal items.
Exhibitions for Member Artists Only
The Center will not be holding Salon 300: Minnesota State Fair Overflow Show this year or in the foreseeable future. Thank you to all of the artists that have participated in previous years of this show.